If stones could tell stories…

…then what tales of conflict, cruelty and chivalry would the ruins of Pontefract Castle be able to recall?

Pictures: staff photographer

Tree clearance has opened up the view of the keep, a.k.a. the round tower, and the western section of the former moat.
The townspeople of Pontefract demolished most of the structures after the Civil War so that, in most places, only low walls remain.
The sally port, quite literally the 'back door' of the keep.
This cobbled floor was in the castle's brewhouse
No way in, no way out: beneath this trapdoor are the stairs to the magazine, where prisoners were interred in the Civil War.
Looking through a doorway into the remains of St Clement's chapel, possibly the oldest stonework on the site.
Ancient tower, modern towers: Ferrybridge Power Station viewed from the ramparts.
This view of Ferrybridge shows what a commanding position the castle possessed. The open ground, centre, is the site of St John's Priory.
The tower of All Saints' Church and, in the distance, Drax Power Station again demonstrate the elevated position of the castle.
Lined up for a war game of a more peaceful kind…
The shaft of a garderobe – a medieval toilet.
This ancient coffin was reputed to have contained the bones of Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, killed in 1322. It is actually Roman.
For St George and England!
Print Print | Sitemap
© WF Live 2015